APERTURE ARTICLE WRITING & ARTWORK CONTEST
2020-2021 Official Terms & Conditions
APERTURE CONTEST RULES (the “Contest”)
THIS CONTEST IS ONLY OPEN TO CANADIAN RESIDENTS (EXCLUDING QUEBEC) AND IS GOVERNED BY CANADIAN LAW AND THE LAWS OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. SEE BELOW FOR FULL CONTEST DETAILS. PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR FULL AND UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF, AND AGREEMENT TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY, THESE CONTEST RULES (THE “CONTEST RULES”).
1) The Contest begins on Friday, January 29, 2021 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on Monday, March 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET (the “Contest Period”).
2) The Contest is open to all residents of Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory of residence at the time of entry.
HOW TO ENTER
3) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To participate in this Contest you must:
a. be a registered member of the Canadian Association of Optometry Students - CAOS (the “Sponsor”); and
b. during the Contest Period, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, which contains all of the following elements (together, an “Entry”):
(i) includes “Aperture Article” or “Aperture Artwork Contest” in the subject line;
(ii) attaches written document(s) (the “Contest Article”) for submissions to the “Article Contest”, and/or image(s) (the “Contest Artwork”) for submissions to the “Artwork Contest” in the email, in the formats required as stated in the official contest regulations; and
(iii) is inspired by “Changing Perspectives” (the “Theme”) and complies with the Contest Entry Specifications (as defined below).
4) Your Entry must comply with the following specifications (the “Contest Entry Specifications”). Failure to comply to the Contest Entry Specifications will result in disqualification:
a Contest Article must fall within 500-800 words, written on a topic of your choosing that pertains to optometry and the Theme;
a Contest Artwork may be a photograph, digital art, graphic design, or traditional art and must be accompanied by a 200 word artist statement explaining its meaning as it pertains to the Theme. The Contest Artwork should be created with dimensions of 8.5 in. x 11 in.;
be your original creation, and created solely by you. Reproducing, modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's pre-existing work does not qualify as your original creation;
not violate the rights of any third party, including, but not limited to copyright. For example, your Entry must not defame, infringe or violate publicity or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's, entity's or organization's personal or proprietary rights, including but not limited to, intellectual property rights. For greater certainty, your Entry must not contain trademarks, logos, or trade dress owned by anyone other than the Sponsor, or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without express, written, prior permission of the trademark or brand owner. If a winning Entry is found to be copyrighted or not licensed for commercial use, the winner will be asked to return the prize;
not have been published previously, used commercially, submitted to another competition or contest, or won any other award;
be in “good taste” and in keeping with the Sponsor’s brand image and must not be explicit, offensive, obscene, or profane, and must not be derogatory toward any ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, profession, or age group, or promote any activities that may be unsafe or dangerous, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion;
not contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service;
not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sponsor or its products;
not be false, inaccurate or misleading;
not violate any law or regulation;
not be libelous, threatening or harassing;
not instigate others to commit illegal activities or violate human rights; and
not contain any viruses, worms, or other interfering computer programming.
5) There is NO limit to the number of Entries permitted in the Contest.
BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR ENTRY (INCLUDING YOUR NAME) MAY BE POSTED ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK AND/OR SPONSOR’S PROPRIETARY WEBSITE, WHERE IT MAY BE VIEWED, SHARED AND COMMENTED ON BY THE SPONSOR AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
6) From Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 12:00 a.m. ET to Friday, March 12, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. ET in Waterloo, Ontario, members of the CAOS Executive Team who have not participated in the Contest (the “Judges”) will review all eligible Entries to select ten (10) winners and rank them by their Entries of which:
all identifying information will be removed from the Entries prior to the judging such that the Entries will be judged solely based on content;
five (5) winners will be selected for the Article Contest; and
three (3) winners will be selected for the Artwork Contest.
7) The winners will be declared on Monday, March 15, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. ET. Before being declared a winner: The selected entrant will be contacted by email and notified that they are eligible to win. The selected entrant must reply by email within one (1) business day of notification and explicitly state that they accept the conditions of the prize. This statement implies consent of the following assumptions:
confirms compliance with the contest rules;
releases the Sponsor, its affiliated companies and agents, advertising and promotion agencies, the contest judges and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns from any liability in connection with the Contest, the entrant’s participation therein and/or the awarding and use or misuse of the prize or any portion thereof; and
grants to the Sponsor the right to use the selected entrant’s name and Entry in the Aperture magazine, and any form of advertising relating to the contest without further notice or compensation.
If a selected entrant: (i) cannot be contacted by private message within one (1) calendar days of selection or there is a return of any prior notification as undeliverable, then he/she will be disqualified and will forfeit the prize, and the Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate entrant from among the remaining eligible entries.
8) There will be eight (8) prizes available to be won, in the form of either i) a cheque, that must be picked up at the University of Waterloo by the end of the term, meaning May 1st, 2021 by 11:59 pm ET; or ii) a Guusto gift card (the “Prize”). The monetary value of the Prizes are as follows:
$450CAD value prize for the first place winner of the Article Contest, followed by $350CAD, $250CAD, $200CAD, and $150CAD for the runner ups respectively; and
$300CAD value prize for the first place winner of the Artwork Contest, followed by $200CAD and $150CAD for the runner ups respectively.
NOTE: The Prize does not include, and the Sponsor will not pay for, transportation to and/or from the University of Waterloo for pick up. Winners must arrange for their own transportation, accommodation, and spending money.
Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are not transferable or convertible to cash. No substitutions except at Sponsor’s option. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize or a prize component with one of equal or greater value, including without limitation, but solely in the Sponsor’s discretion, a cash award. Prizes will only be awarded to the person who is the owner of the Entry. Prizes will be granted no later than 30 calendar days following the date of declaration of the contest winners, as stated in (7).
9) By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to abide by these Contest Rules. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws. Void where prohibited by law. The decisions of the Sponsor with respect to all aspects of this Contest are final and binding on all entrants without right of appeal.
10) Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, withdraw or amend this Contest in any way, without prior notice or obligation, in the event of an error, technical problem, computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor that interferes with the proper conduct of this Contest as contemplated by these Contest Rules. Any attempt to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
11) You must warrant that your Entry meets the Contest Entry Specifications, set out above. Sponsor reserves the right to deem ineligible and exclude from the Contest any Entry that Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, determines does not meet the Entry Specifications. Your right to submit an Entry must not be restricted in any way. You must be able to provide legal releases for use of your Entry by Sponsor in any format, and materials related to the Contest, including in relation to any third party’s name, likenesses or work ("Third Party Elements") included in your Entry.
12) Sponsor’s right to use your Entry: You acknowledge that your Entry may appear in the Aperture magazine and may appear in other electronic and print materials related to the Contest, including promotional materials. By submitting an Entry, you irrevocably, perpetually, and without limitation, grant Sponsor the right to use, publish, adapt, sub-license, edit, dispose of, and/or modify such Entry and the concepts and Third Party Elements embodied therein in any way, in commerce, and in any and all media worldwide in electronic and print materials related to the Contest, and waive all your rights, including moral rights, in the Entry, without notice or compensation, and agree that you may be required to sign a release to that effect.
13) All Entries are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to the Sponsor – including, without limitation, government issued photo identification): (i) for the purposes of verifying an individual’s eligibility to participate in this Contest; (ii) for the purposes of verifying the eligibility and/or legitimacy of any Entry entered (or purportedly entered) for the purposes of this Contest; and/or (iii) for any other reason the Sponsor deems necessary, in its sole and absolute discretion, for the purposes of administering this Contest in accordance with these Rules. Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of the Sponsor in a timely manner may result in disqualification in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor. The sole determinant of the time for the purposes of a valid Entry in this Contest will be the time the email containing the Entry is received.
14) Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed, or otherwise, illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, and may disqualify you from entering, participating, winning prizes (defined herein), and preclude you from participating in future contests and promotions, at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, contain false information, are damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions these rules will be judged void. All Entries become the property of Sponsor upon receipt and none will be returned. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt.
15) Without limitation, the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and the Contest Judges will not be liable for any failure of the website during the Contest; for an technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; for the failure of any Entry to be received by the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies or the Contest judges for any reason including, but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website; or any combination of the above. Further, the Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and the Contest judges will not be liable for any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading any material in the Contest.
16) In the event of a dispute, Entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. If the identity of an online entrant is disputed, the authorized account holder associated with the email account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant. A selected entrant may be required to provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the selected Entry.